Monday, July 6, 2009

Canazei Italian Cup Race report


So over the past weekend I raced at the Italian Cup in Canazei in the Dolomites. It was a pretty amazing area to see awesome scenery from the top of the track would be a sick place to go skiing in winter, as there are so many gondolas and chairlifts in the area i think it said 1200 km's of ski piste's.


Anyway so on friday afternoon myself and Brook, walked the course and going off first inspections, we thought it would be pretty boring as the whole course was grass and didn't really have anything technical in it. But then once we got to ride it the next day it was real fun, although it did have a bit too much pedaling for my liking, it was wet and rained on and off the whole day, but that kind of made it better all the turns were super drifty so a good days riding was had, i think I did around 8 runs.


Sunday morning we awoke to clear sunny skies which was cool, but it was hard to tell if it would stay around for the whole day, the weather can change so fast up in the mountains, the bottom of the course was at 2000 metres probably one of the highest finish area's I have seen. My practice run went well, I decided to keep it at one as i had most of lines dialed. 


My seeding run went alright although i missed a few lines in the top section, and saved a bit of energy for the final as thats what counts. I ended up in 3rd which was ok but i had some work to do. Then we had a 4-hr wait till final run which was a bit boring, I just wanted to go and get it done. The clouds started coming over a bit before we headed up so it had a few people changing tires backwards and forwards , I just stuck with the cut down mud's that I'd been running all weekend. 


When we got up the top of the hill for our runs it started spitting, and then got a bit heavier before i went in to the start. Typical euro racing i guess though. So I hit the track and was riding a little cautious as i thought it would be slippery and i rode the top section way too slow, as it was a lot more grippy than I thought it would have been. I started riding faster the further I got down and by the bottom sections I was riding how I should of the whole run, pretty pissed with how i rode. So i ended up 4th 3.4 seconds off the pace of fellow kiwi Matt Scoles. It was a day of kiwi dominance with Scolesy taking the win Nathan Rankin 2nd, my Ancillotti team mate Brook Macdonald 3rd and myself 4th. 


Anyways a good weekend of training and learning more about racing for me, I now have a weekend off, then I have another Italian Cup after that.


Finally thanks to all my sponsor's for making it happen for me, Ancillotti Cycles, UFO Plast, CampaBros, Formula Brakes, Maxxis Tires, San Marco, Doganaccia 2000. And also thanks to Tomaso and Alberto for keeping the bike running sweet.


Until next time


Wyn

No comments:

Post a Comment