Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bromont World Cup Report


So after Mont Saint Anne last week, we packed up all our gear and got ready to leave but before we left we had a session at the Go Carts in MSA which was sick, mega carnage in the 20min main event with a maybe 15 Downhillers and 4x riders racing it was good times. After that we had a short 3 hour drive up to Bromont which is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but is a pretty cool place all the same with maybe 20 DH tracks on the opposite side of the hill to the WC track all finishing up next to a huge water park that was absolutely packed the first day we got there it wasn't even the weekend either and there was maybe 10,000 people there making the most of the mid thirty degree day!

So the first day riding in Bromont didn't set off so well for me while filming on some of the other tracks that I'd never ridden before, and on the first shot of film I slid out in a rock garden and slammed my hip and side in to a sharp rock, finishing my day of riding and giving me a mega hematoma which is still coming out now. So I spent the next couple of days before practice started resting that up and packing in the ibuprofen tablets. On the wednesday we walked the course and I was pretty impressed with it although it was a little short it had some sweet steep rocky technical sections in the middle that were cool the bottom was a little flat and plain tho but what can you do..

So practice kicked off and I was enjoying it although it was so short it was still pretty hard to piece it all together and I did a fair bit of pushing back up to get my lines sorted and everything dialed in, then on my timed run in the afternoon I was on an alright run when I had the funniest crash I've had this year, It was on this tricky rocky slab section that must of collected a lot of riders over the weekend I reckon, I came in drifted on the rock then had to take a foot off and try to correct it then hit a hole both feet came off the pedal's and I went off a drop sitting on my top tube which had me Wide eyes.... brown pants, as Ox would of put it, but some how I managed to save it pretty well and got away with it, certainly made for amusing viewing check it out here il upload the video in the next few days..

So next day was qualifying, and i thought I was going to have no problems getting in the top 80 cut and I rode well...much too slow and made a few mistakes had a shitty run and took my LCQ ticket in 73rd. I was pissed with that result and disappointed to be that far back but it was seriously probably the tightest WC i'd been to time wise. Although I did go fast in one section setting the 5th fastest speed trap for the day ha-ha. I certainly knew I had change that result around as it wasn't where I should be!

So around came race day and I did 2 runs practice dialed all my lines in and felt a lot better on the bike. Being 73rd qualifier I was 7th to drop from the gate so had to head up a bit earlier than I usually do, and felt like no time at all from the end of practice till start of race run, I headed up early to get a decent warm up in, cheers to Adam at Maxxis for letting me use the wind trainer, I got myself in the right frame of mind and was real psyched to go get it done. I was so angry after qualifying so shit that I just put all I could in to it, I went probably the hardest I have this year straight from the start and was going pretty good, I held it wide in the steep section and got loose as..the crowd was going so it got me going a bit harder again, I made one bad mistake sliding out on a berm and lost some valuable time on a track this short there is no room for any mistakes, look at Steve Peat yesterday for example leading at the split till one mistake in the rocks and finished 7th 1.6 down on the win. Anyways the rest of my run went pretty well and I was happy with It but I didn't get the hot-seat which I had wanted but I knew I was on the pace. I ended up in 32nd place which isn't my best finish but still at a race this tight I was happy enough with that. Sorry haven't got any pic from this race yet, but will upload some in the next few days, anyway heres a rad one of me from Velovert of me a Maribor.

Anyways so I've just woken up from the after-party which was pretty wild as usual for an WC after-party! Now Im off to do some riding before I leave Bromont should be good times, next stop for me is Whistler where I'll be racing at the Crankworks which should be rad. More updates to come soon. Thanks to all my sponsors for keeping me on track, Ancillotti Cycles, UFO Plast, Doganaccia 2000, Formula Brakes, San Marco seats, CampaBros, NZRIDE, Maxxis Tires, Landini Auto.

Keep it lit

Wyn

No comments:

Post a Comment